Sunday, May 12, 2013

Last night's dinner: a tribute to my mother

Before all 7 of you decide that this has nothing to do with my study abroad and only has to do with my mom, don't stop reading!  It DOES have to do with a story from my study abroad.  One that helped me realize the love of a mother that my mother has taught me.

 This week we went down to Andalucía- Sevilla, Granada, y Córdoba.  It is hot hot in the south of Spain and its easy to get heat stroke.  That was the unfortunate fate of one of my group members.  He got it in Córdoba, and was having to deal with it while we were in Sevilla.  That morining we got on the bus with a tour guide and drove around the city to see the sights.  Michael (the student with heat stroke) sat next to me on the bus.  As we were driving around the tour guide started explaining to us the different sights and trees and interesting facts about Sevilla.  Suddenly, with no warning, Michael started throwing up.  Right next to me.  I have to give him credit for his aim, he didn't get very much on me.  But as he continued to throw up and others on the bus settled into their states of shock- I was right next to him, rubbing his back as he vomited into a plastic bag that someone had handed him.  As he finished he turned to me and said, "Thank you for not freaking out." Everything got cleaned up and the days adventures continued.

What does this have to do with my mother?  EVERYTHING! I have always wondered how I would react in such a situation. Now I know!  I. Was. Awesome.  In that moment, I felt that I had proved myself (in a very small degree) as a future mother.  I was pleased at my ability to think outside of the throw-up on my legs and instead of the sick person by my side.  And I know that is something I learned from my mom.

My mom.  She is one of the most charitable people I know.  I am so impressed by her desire to help all those around her.  I have seen her influence many lives for good, not just including myself and my siblings.  I have seen her as a member missionary.  I have seen her remain calm in moments of turbulence.  I have watched her teach her children and grandchildren.  She knows how to entertain.  She knows how to make people laugh.  But most importantly, she knows how to love.  And that is the trait that I most emulate in her.  She is one classy lady!

 My mom and I- The early years.
Us today.  The love continues.

3 comments:

  1. Love this. Your mom is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glasses-R-Us! Thanks for the nice words to help me get by without you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cecily! I'm so glad we found your blog! We've been reading up all night on your fun adventures! It is BEAUTIFUL. Oh my word- it looks like your having a blast. This post was amazing. Pete cried. I love the way you reacted to the throw up- very impressive I must say. You rock Cec- we miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete